By Kristin Burgess, Club Greenwood Nutritionist, Trainer and Health and Wellness Coach
Tis the season for friends, family, food and fun! But how do you stick to a healthy nutrition plan without putting any weight on? Here are five tips that can help:
- Meet your challenges readied with a plan. You may not be able to control the food put in front of you, but you can control how much you eat. Stick to bite size portions and never go back for seconds. Always pick your favorites, never wasting calories on food that is merely tolerable. There are no foods on the naughty list, just set your limit. Always portion your plate with half veggies.
- Your. Water. Aim to drink at least a 12 ounce glass right before the meal begins. Make your target two, 12 ounce glasses during the meal. Then conclude with one last 12 ounce glass after the meal. This will help negate the effects of extra sodium and it will help control your appetite.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, set a limit. Establish your threshold at the beginning of the event and stick to it. A reasonable amount would be one to two drinks. Avoid mixed drinks such as margaritas as the calorie and sugar levels are excessive. One drink is considered five ounces of wine, one light beer or one shot of hard alcohol.
- Eat your veggies first. This will help your body enter the fed state and can help to control your appetite. Remember, half your plate is filled with them so eat them all!
- Eat slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for your metabolism to be in the fed state. Enjoy your company and conversation. Make your friends and/or family your center of focus, not food.
Remember what this season is all about. Friends, family, love and new beginnings. Take your focus off food and you will start the new year fitting into the same jeans you slid into before!